Friday, January 10, 2014

Am I Becoming A Radical?

It's not something I want to do, but the "experts" are leaving me little choice.


Efforts are underway to deny American veterans the right to own firearms.  Go over and read the whole thing.   

This is something I wrote about back in October, 2012.  Psychiatry and psychology can be used to deny people the power to legally defend themselves.

So, do I want crazy people to have firearms?  Actually, most crazy people are fairly harmless -- except the authoritarian ones who wear police uniforms and ruthlessly gun down little kids.

Using "science" to make policy is a bad idea.  Our founders opted to enshrine the idea of the separation of church and state through the First Amendment.  Particular religions, in the olden days, were eager to get control of the reins of government in order to force people into their sect.  They were ensnared by the prospect of the power and wealth that would flow to them as the compulsory state religion.

I think scientism is a lousy state religion.  Eugenics was science.  Great idea. 

As someone who appreciates mathematics, engineering, machines, gadgetry, genetics, astronomy, etc., I have no quarrel with science as a methodology.  I have serious misgivings about its use as an ethical system.  I doubt that scientists can be trusted to be dispassionate and objective about their beliefs, even if they should happen to be right.  I don't think science can be the foundation for moral behavior or political decisions.  Science, like government, is a tool with limited capabilities.

This is especially true of "softer", therapeutic disciplines like psychology and sociology.  It's a foundation of quicksand.

3 comments:

  1. Becoming?

    Good point about scientism being a lousy state religion. I'm guessing most aren't even aware that that is, though. Well, sure seems that way.

    BTW, Your first link is the same as your second link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right to be cautious, sceptical, even hostile to the idea that science can form the basis of any ethical or political system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm getting as self-referential as the Prez. Be careful, it might be contagious. Thanks for letting me know. It should work now.

    ReplyDelete