Fortunately for the victim, it appears that she will survive. The shot struck her in the shoulder.
Remember -- I am not a judge, attorney or law enforcement officer. This is just my personal opinion as a hillbilly. Do not take my advice.
I mentioned the other day that my wife has a laser-equipped 10/22 and a revolver in .38 Special as her home defense weapons. I've explained the use of the rifle to her. For the handgun, my instructions are very simple.
- Retrieve the handgun. Keep it down and out of sight.
- Retreat as far as possible while screaming, "Go away! Don't hurt me!" or whatever comes to mind.
- If the intruder continues to advance and reaches a point almost within arms' length, thrust the revolver toward the intruder while pulling the double action trigger. Continue to do this until the gun is empty.
- Do not drop the gun immediately but attempt to use it as a bludgeon if the intruder has not dropped or retreated.
If someone has entered my house without permission, they have already committed the crime of breaking and entering. They should have no expectation of safety at that point.
- Pointing a firearm at someone is technically assault.
- Warning shots are a waste of ammunition.
- Firing a gun at someone is use of deadly force.
Despite looking a lot like this old cracker -- just add a big white mustache --