Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sad News Today in the Motorcycle World

Bike journalist Kevin Ash was killed Tuesday in a motorcycle accident in South Africa.  More details are at the Cycle World link.

The initial report (always questionable) makes it sound like something of a fluke, possibly involving another rider.  Cycle World says: 

“I worked on him with another American who also had some medical training,” said Hoyer, “and then I assisted the medics. He looked like he was going to be okay. He appeared to have suffered a broken humerus and/or shoulder. We put him on a backboard when the medics arrived about 30-40 minutes after I contacted the second patient.”

Hoyer reported they were riding on a straight, dusty, gravel road.
It can happen that fast and easily.  I enjoyed reading many of Mr. Ash's reviews on his site.  He knew bikes and loved bikes. His death is a great loss to the rider community.  He will be missed and mourned by family and friends, as well as by a great multitude of readers like myself who knew him only through his insightful prose.  

While this is a sorrowful end for a man in the prime of his life, given the choice between dying in a nursing home and dying on a bike under the open sky, I know what I would choose.  

God speed him to his rest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment