Tuesday, February 5, 2013

LaserLyte™ Trainer Cartridge and Target System Review



I ordered the LaserLyte Cartridge and Target System from Midway recently, and I have been using the system for a couple of weeks.  The way it works is that the cartridge is inserted into the chamber.  When the firing pin hits the back of the cartridge a laser pulse lasting 100 milliseconds is initiated.  The laser striking the target screen registers in sensors below the surface.  Firing the laser at the Display sensor on the bottom of the target causes the strikes to be shown on the screen.  Firing into the Reset sensor clears the screen.  (See this link.)

I have been using this at a distance of 21 feet.  That isn’t too challenging.  What is does show dramatically are faults in trigger discipline.  I’m not a bad shot with a single-action revolver – my long-time favorite handgun.  I am a horrible shot with my Springfield XDM.  The LaserLyte™ system has done a couple of things for me.  First, of course, it brazenly and inarguably shows my errors in bright, indisputable red.  Second, it helps me correct those faults.  This is a good system.  Whether it is worth the investment or not is another question, which we will address.

There’s no way to blame bad ammunition.  I can’t get around the fact that either my sight alignment or the movement of my trigger finger (the main culprit) caused me not to hit on center.  Below are a couple of typical spreads showing my unsettling tendency to pull to the right on firing. 




These are both in excess of 10-shot groups, so hitting the same spot registers only once.  It is neat and obvious.  (I would like, at this range, to have all ten or however many shots in one single dot.  I'll let you know if that happens.  Do not hold your breath.)  The delayed feedback with the Display/Reset sensors is good for me, too.  

The second target shows some improvement as a result of changing my grip backstrap.  The XDM package came with three backstraps – small, medium and large.  The medium strap was on when I got it, and since I am remarkably average, I figured that would be the one to use.  After playing with the LaserLyte setup for a few days, I decided to try the large.  After a few more sessions, I began to see some improvement, partially a result of getting some of my fat finger off the trigger, and partially a result of improving technique. 

The LaserLyte™ is dry-firing on steroids, and, like steroids, there is a price to pay, specifically, from Midway $79.99 for the cartridge and $139.99 for the target.  Or there abouts.  Is  it worth it?  For not much more, one could buy a .22 handgun, or, for Glocks, Sig-Sauers, and 1911s, a .22LR conversion kit.  That’s not an option for the Springfield – at least, I’ve never found a conversion for it.  It’s very cheap practice after the initial investment.  As long as the LaserLyte units hold up, all you have to do is buy batteries.  Hundreds of shots have had no impact on the batteries so far. 

Whether it is worth the cost or not depends on one's situation.  If I could have gotten a .22LR conversion, I would have done that instead.  I want to train with this specific handgun, so, as much fun as a Ruger or S&W .22LR pistol is, that does not serve my purpose so well.  As long as the system continues to function properly, I will be fairly satisfied with my investment. 

A couple of things about the actual functioning of the LaserLyte, for example, after you pull the trigger on a double-action auto like the XD, you have to rack the slide to cock it again.  The LaserLyte cartridge is rimless; therefore, there is no problem with ejecting and reseating the cartridge in each cycle.  That raises the question of how one extracts the laser device from the chamber.  I have a special tool.



This one was courtesy of the Missouri Baptist Children’s Home.  I’m sure they would be happy to know it is being put to such a noble and worthy use. 

The device itself is a tight fit in the chamber.  Let me say this again, it is tight.  It was so tight that when I tried it initially, I ended up calling the LaserLyte customer service number to see if something was wrong.  It’s not.  It’s just very tight.  It’s OK to put a little lubricant, a small amount of gun oil or petroleum jelly (use gun oil, Vaseline is just wrong) on the cartridge to help it seat.  I have to let the slide slam down pretty hard.  The LaserLyte™ folks, who seem nice and helpful, insist that the cartridge is built for just such usage.  It does seem pretty tough. 

I do not know the maximum distance at which this system works.  The range on the target says "50 yards".  I have a 21-foot lane here in my office, and that’s where I’ve used it.  It seems perfect.  I did try it outside at about 25 yards, and it seems OK.  In my case, it doesn’t matter because I’m working on isolating only certain aspects of my shooting.  With this system, you are obviously not dealing with recoil and muzzle blast.  What I am working on is speed, target acquisition, and trigger control.  Twenty-one feet works fine.

There are other cartridge sizes available in addition to the .40 S&W.  For someone in a situation similar to mine, this approach and the initial expense is reasonable.  The only question I have myself is durability – something only time and use will reveal.  Otherwise, I can recommend the LaserLyte™ system as being well-designed and beneficial.   

Read my follow-up here.  

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat. A tad pricey but you could make that up in ammo saved. I'm gonna keep this in mind.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it saves ammo, and there's the convenience. I was just going to get a Snap Cap for dry-firing, but I have had so much trouble getting used to the trigger on the XDM that I thought it called for drastic measures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is informative post. I am also using .22LR pistol and to improve my accuracy i have hired a firearm instructor and its make me the best use of my ammo with perfect shooting.
    ___________________
    MA Firearms Safety Course

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered the LaserLyte Cartridge and Target System from Midway recently, and I have been using the system for a couple of weeks. The way it ... laserlyte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete