Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Care and Feeding of the .44 Remingon Magnum

I talk about the .22LR a lot because it is ubiquitous, easy for people to shoot and amazingly effective, and, of course, I love the .22 WMR.  Still if one were to put a gun to my head, so to speak, and demand that I pick one and only one gun to keep and carry, one of the choices I would ponder, after my shotgun and the rimfires, would be my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.  If I were able acquire plenty of ammunition or knew that I had access to plenty of components and my reloading setup, the .44 would be hard not to choose.

At the top of my list for any firearm is accuracy.  It's a fact that I have tested over and over again.  For some strange reason, I shoot the Blackhawk as well or better than any of my other firearms.  Given the fact that is has open sights, I shoot it about as well as I do my scoped rifles.  I would say it is rivaled only by my Single-Six.  Maybe I was born to be a plowboy because the old plowhandle works for me.

The thing about the .44 is that it can be loaded to do all kinds of jobs.  Stick a relatively soft cast bullet in over a modest load of fast powder and use it for small game.  Put a 180-grain jacketed bullet on top of a bunch of H110 and you have a longer-range varmint or whitetail walloper. 

A maximum load of H110 behind a 300-grain solid would probably work for dangerous game.  I'm not going to try it, but people have taken some mighty big game with Mr. Keith's baby. 

Speaking of that patron saint of the Double-4, Keith's original load was a 240-grain (relatively) hard-cast bullet clocking along about 1200 fps.  Remington loaded their first 240, gas-checked bullet to give 1400 fps out of an 8-inch S&W Model 29.  That's a good stiff round.  I shoot a 240-grain jacketed bullet over a non-max load of 2400 that will exceed 1300 fps.  It might actually approach 1400 in my 7.5 inch Blackhawk.  Even in my big SA, you don't have to wonder if it went off.  Generally speaking, that bullet will not stay in one of our goaty little whitetails. 

Then I have my "light" load.  The load that I use for general plinking, pest eradication, and, if it came to it, self-defense, is a gas-checked, hard-cast 240-grain bullet (Oregon Trail, I think, could be wrong because I didn't write it down). I load that bullet in a .44 mag case with a regular Winchester LP primer and around 12 grains of Blue Dot.  That's a way reduced load.  The minimum listed in the manual on the magnum side is around 15 grains.  It's really a very mild .44 Special load in a .44 magnum case.  It shoots to basically the same point of aim as the jacketed bullet load out to forty or fifty yards.  I'm pretty sure it would kill a deer just as dead as the other one, and it's mild enough for rapid fire.  I found it to be quite adequate for most purposes. 

REMINDER and CAVEAT: I have had no problems with these loads in my particular revolver.  That DOES NOT mean they are safe.  Refer to manufacturers' reloading manuals and  DO NOT EVER use any load you run across on the internet from some half-wit like me.   

Should a person be inclined to use a .44 magnum for self-defense, one option would be to simply pick up some .44 Special high-performance rounds -- such as Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Silvertips, or Speer Gold Dot.  The good old Silvertip, for example, is pushing a 200-grain bullet at 900 fps, yielding 360 ft/lbs -- probably from a 4-inch barrel.  That will certainly do the job on the business end while being mild and controllable for the shooter. 

Practice ammunition would be easy to load up in magnum cases using cast bullets and .44 Special recommended loads. 

The .44 magnum is a very versatile and useful round.  I used to think the .357 magnum was the perfect handgun round -- and it is very good.  Yet, over the years, I have come to rely more and more on the .44 as my go-to hunting handgun.  Accurate and powerful, or accurate and mild, the .44 is what it eats.   

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mush, do you have a rough cost estimate for getting into reloading? I'm thinking starting off with three calibers, 2 pistol and one rifle if that makes a difference.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. A single stage press is going to run between $125 and maybe $300. You can get sets that help a lot. The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is probably around $300 -- that will include the press, powder measure, scale, hand primer, a Speer reloading manual, trimmers and some other stuff.

    The Lee version -- often disparaged -- can be had for under $200, maybe under $150, and it will include Richard Lee's compilation manual.

    Hornady has the Lock-n-Load kit for $325 or $350.

    Then there are dies. They are $40 to $60 per set in a lot of cases. You might find them cheap, depending on your calibers.

    If you don't have calipers, they are nice to have. Make sure you get case lube for bottle-neck cartridges. Carbide dies for straight-wall pistol cartridges mean you don't have to lube to resize.


    Probably going with the Lee kit and three sets of dies, you're looking at $300.

    Then you have your components.

    Once you get your brass, the big cost component is bullets. Primers run two or three cents. Powder -- depending on the case size, obviously, is usually not much of a consideration. I can load .30-30 rounds for 0.25 to 0.30, probably -- a little less for the .22 centerfires because the projectiles are cheaper. The .243 is about about like the .30-30.

    My .44 cast bullets -- because I have a lot that I bought a while back -- are probably less than 20 cents. Jacketed are more like 30 cents. The .38 probably tops out around 20 cents. Not much powder.

    My nephew swears by his Rock Chucker. I've used the Lee, and it worked fine. Dillion makes really good products. The Hornady has worked well for me.

    I guess I'd say that if you are looking for economy, taking up reloading is not maybe the best idea. We used to reload for "accuracy". Factory ammo is pretty good -- and it's the only thing to use for self-defense, assuming you have a choice, for a number of reasons.


    One I don't reload and probably won't ever reload is the .40 S&W. The pressure scares me on that one. And on any kind of autoloader, your crimp is important both for keeping the bullet in the case and making sure it doesn't hang up feeding.

    To me reloading is part of the mystique. You're assembling your own ammunition. It's kind of a combination of chemistry class and shop class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of it as a cost savings but I also like making things myself. The tools don't sound too expensive. I'm presently looking at 303 British at $1 a pop and was thinking I might want to see if I can do better. Also, I do want to get into distance shooting eventually, so I'm assuming a hand load might be the way to go. You know, your reply would make a good post if you already haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a .303, I would say it would be worthwhile from a cost standpoint. You also have availability issues with a not-so-common military caliber. It definitely gives you the advantage of finding a custom load for your long-range application.

    Another example is you might decide to build reduced loads behind cast lead bullets for quieter and less abusive practice. I buy cast bullets. But a lot of people cast their own, which is a whole 'nother "joy of lab" thing.

    Those are great rifles. My brother-in-law somehow ended up with the one we had. It seemed to have a pretty good kick to it when I was younger. My cousin had one as his primary rifle. He used it for coyotes, deer, revenoors, everything, and one of his boys killed his first deer with it. I helped him skin it out. He'd shot it in the neck, and we were skinning with the hind feet up. When we cut away the hide down past the shoulders, the head and upper part of the neck just dropped to the ground. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the Enfield and I can become good distance shooters, since I already own it. It needs a scope. I got it a Roses (an El cheapo department store) about 20 years ago when they were selling all kinds of military surplus rifles. It was really odd to see all those rifles being sold there. That's where I bought the SKS as well. The Enfield was unused, perfect condition. Built in early 50's I believe but I now can't find the scrap of paper that told me that. Oh well, doesn't really matter. RULE .303! (Wife and I watched Breaker Morant a couple of weeks ago for the first time.)

    ReplyDelete