Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Another Sign of the End: Common Sense at the TSA

A little good news we can use.  Via Fox News, the TSA will allow small knives in passenger carry-on bags.  The Stew Union is not happy, but I think passengers know how to deal with someone who threatens an attendant or another passenger with a Swiss Army Knife these days.  They should require duct tape in carry-ons

This is for "Swiss Army-type knives -- specifically, ones with blades no longer than 2.36 inches".  If you are wondering where they came up with that number, I think it would translate to 6 centimeters.  The bigger blade on my favorite Victorinox is exactly 6 cm, while the one on my favorite Wenger is 5.3 cm.  I think I'd take the Wenger, because the blade is going to be well under the limit.  And I wouldn't feel as bad if they confiscated it -- not that I wouldn't be mad, I just probably wouldn't start a fight and need to be duct-taped.

But don't try to take your favorite box-cutter:  

Under the TSA decision, however, box-cutter type knives used by the 9/11 hijackers are still prohibited. Razors as well as knives with molded grips also are still banned.
I guess those are assault-type box-cutters, and "molded grips" are practically pistol-grips which are only used on weapons of mass retention.  At least it is a step away from total insanity. 

Also newly non-prohibited are "... lacrosse sticks, ski poles and small, souvenir baseball bats."  Personally I think the lacrosse-stick exemption is very close to profiling -- which is a good thing. 

4 comments:

  1. Also newly non-prohibited are "... lacrosse sticks, ski poles and small, souvenir baseball bats." Personally I think the lacrosse-stick exemption is very close to profiling -- which is a good thing.

    That is a good thing. But if the suburban northeasterners get their lacross sticks what do the good ol boys get? Ugly sticks?

    I guess those are assault-type box-cutters, and "molded grips" are practically pistol-grips

    Heh, I was thinking the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Shakespeare Ugly Stik. That would work. Also, I think what some of us call an ugly stick is known as a fish bat, which can bear a, uh, striking resemblance to a souvenir Louisville slugger.

    If you read some of the reviews on the fish bat, one guy gives the dimensions as 1.5 inches in diameter and 16 inches long. My souvenir bat, that I picked up in Louisville many years ago, is 16 inches long and about an inch in diameter in the barrel. The other difference being that the handle on the fish bat is less gradual and the barrel appears to have a much more abrupt taper -- so it would be substantially sturdier.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see knife-makers coming out with TSA-compliant models. Most SAKs will be anyway, but it may be marketing pitch for some others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I just found out from a family member, she was a nanny for the little three-year-old girl the TSA terrorized at Lambert. I didn't realize it was the same child. They live around the Lake of the Ozarks, and the father is some kind of high-powered lawyer. I guess that's why the mother didn't worry too much about the video being "illegal".

    The rule change seems to be upsetting a lot of people. They are dragging out the family members of those who were killed on 9/11. As some of the comments rationally explain, locking and securing the cockpit doors effectively removes the threat posed by any boxcutter or pocketknife.

    No one will ever again take over a plane with an edged weapon short of an axe. And I always put the axe in my checked bag anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting about your relative. Small world, or large family!

    I was thinking that the airlines should give out ugly sticks (The bat kind. I was thinking of the fishing rod when I first mentioned them.) to all the passengers as they board. They really couldn't hurt themselves with them and it would make an evil doer think twice, or maybe 200 times before acting.

    ReplyDelete