Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just a Quick Follow-Up on the LaserLyte

My initial review is here.

This is still working well.  I'm very happy with it.  What I would add is that I have found the cartridge alone, apart from the target to be a very beneficial dry-fire tool.  During the day, I keep my XDM on my desk with the LaserLyte cartridge in the chamber and practice firing at various objects around the room when I'm not busy.

I will warn of one bad habit I have picked up because of practicing with this device.  Last night I was down in the holler shooting live ammo from 25 yards.  I holstered my handgun to go over and check my target.  When I returned to the firing line and drew the XDM, I automatically racked the slide and ejected a live round into my hand.  It has just become second nature to cycle the action manually when dry-firing, but I have been cooped up saving ammunition the last few weeks.  Once the weather warms up and Bass Pro or Academy or Midway gets in some more cheap FMJs, I'll get my context cues reset and be all right.

The only difference in POI accuracy that I notice is that live ammunition prints higher.  The Springfield is not comped so I get a little muzzle flip.  But I can still plug the center a lot more regularly than I could a month or two ago. 

2 comments:

  1. During the day, I keep my XDM on my desk with the LaserLyte cartridge in the chamber and practice firing at various objects around the room when I'm not busy.

    Ah, the joys of working from home. I was thinking of doing the same. Once we get some bills (the Ural) paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only work from home because they can't stand me in the office.

    Plus, the way things were for years is that I did most of my most critical work on hotline calls which always happened between midnight and 6:00AM -- then I'd be more worthless than normal during regular hours. When I was getting two to four of those a week, there really wasn't any point in me dragging my grouchy rear in.

    It really spoils me. When I travel to one of our hubs, I have to shower and put on clothes and drive in traffic. I really appreciate the fact that normally don't have to do all that. It saves a lot of money.

    Just to clarify and so no one gets disgusted, I am wearing jeans and a t-shirt at the moment. If I go to the office, it's about the same except I'll have a shirt with a collar and boots.

    ReplyDelete