Friday, March 8, 2013

Fantasy Weaponry

Thinking about the TSA allowing SAKs on a plane got me to thinking about what I'd carry if there were no rules.  My firearm of choice would doubtless be a very short-barreled shotgun -- and, of course, I could get that if I were willing to pay the ATF for the stamp and register it as an AOW.  I guess I'll get by with 18.5 inches. 

If I knew my wife wouldn't divorce me -- or, more likely, kill me, I'd buy a blackpowder howdah pistol. 

It would be nice to have a BAR.  Again, if my wife would quit spending all my money on new trucks and motorcycles, I'd get a Barrett .50 as a substitute.  I'd have to carry it over to my nephew's place to find a safe place to shoot it where I could appreciate the effect. 

One firearm I might actually pick up would be a lever-action .44 magnum.  I can always use another lever-action.  I saw a Rossi on the rack locally a few days back but didn't have time to check the caliber.  The Mossberg "tactical" lever-actions are also kind of interesting.  They should leverage (sorry about that) their expertise from the 500 and 590 to create a slide-action with a detachable box magazine in various pistol and rifle calibers.  If it took AR-type accessories, that would be very cool.  One of the reasons my dad loved his Remington 7600 was because he loved his Remington 870 -- same motion.  Remington could also "tactify" the 7600 and add the .223.  Don't know if they could get it to accept AR mags, but that would be handy.  Seems like I heard Remington offers the 5.56 in a slide-action Down Under.  

Made, apparently from the infamous unobtainium, a Kel-Tec PMR30 is on my list -- 30 rounds of .22WMR in a polymer, autoloading handgun.  I'm sure readers are not surprised by my cultish choice.  Also, I wish I could justify buying one of their shotguns. 

My gripe about suppressors is similar to my gripe about short-barreled shotguns.  These should be standard, if not required, rather than restricted.

Some of my fantasy choices are not firearms.  If brass knuckles wouldn't get me hard time, I'd rather have a set of those than any other impact weapon short of a quarterstaff or a war-hammer.  I have threatened for years to buy an Indiana Jones-style whip.  The wife again.  But if I can ever figure out a good way to carry it concealed that doesn't involve coiling it around my belly ...

We can get flamethrowers, but genuine Greek fire is what we really need.  I always thought a mortar would be nice to have -- strictly for the fun of playing with the trajectories, of course -- maybe a spud mortar or a modest blackpowder version could be substituted.  
 
What would you like to have?

4 comments:

  1. It's like you're a .22WMR Scientologist or something! I looked up that PMR30. That could be a formidible weapon.

    Shame about wives and motorcycles isn't it? I guess it's one of those quirky things we have put up with.

    Ok, what am I thinking about these days? I'd really like to screw a can on the end of he Enfield, but build the can myself. (and follow all the laws you NSA snoops!) I'd also like to build a rifle from scratch some day after I make the transition from machine tool collector to machinist. I would also like to make a trebuchet for flinging, containers of liquid, a few hundred yards. Oh, and a rail gun.
    That should keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the Tom Cruise of the .22WMR. I may put that in my header.

    Trebuchet was on my list, but I don't have a shed big enough for it. It would have to be a take-down model.

    The rail gun would be really nice. I'm glad you mentioned that.

    I blame the stupid movies for the suppressor rules. There is no sense in this. It's not a silencer. It just keeps you from destroying your hearing. It's no different than a muffler on a car. I may break down, go through the ATF, and build a suppressed 10/22 -- for zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you could supress your Marlin .22WMR. That might be a cool rig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be cool -- I might have to do that.

    ReplyDelete