Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fiocchi .22WMR Ammunition Review



There are probably three people in the known universe that give a hoot about this, but since I am one of them, and it's my blog, here it is.  I talked about my Marlin bolt-action .22WMR a while back, and I have been looking for stuff to feed it, especially now that fall is here.  Ammunition is just ridiculous these days and .22 mag is no exception -- ten or eleven bucks for a box of fifty seems like a lot to me.  I ran across some reviews of Fiocchi ammo that sounded pretty positive.  Midway has the solid jacketed version for sale at $8.09 for fifty or $77.99 for case of 500 (prices subject to change, as we all know).    

Since I like living on the edge, I bought 500.  They arrived, along with some other items, quite promptly last week, and I managed to squeeze in a couple of test sessions a few days ago and yesterday.  I am impressed.

This low-priced ammunition is accurate in my Marlin.  I put three shots into an inch square at 100 yards from a sitting position.  The point of impact is a little above the POI of CCI hollowpoint 40-grains, so I'm guessing the 1900 fps might be just a shade understated, or the bullet shape could be a little more conducive to maintaining velocity.  Either way, the Fiocchis shoot and function well above expectations.

Though Fiocchi is headquartered in my area, I have no affiliation with them, nor do I have any relationship with Midway other than being a long-time customer.  These are great Missouri-based companies that I am very happy to promote and encourage.  Obviously I can't speak for all of Fiocchi's products, but I certainly will not hesitate to try this brand in other variations and calibers. 

2 comments:

  1. You know, I actually do have a comment about Fiocchi ammo but not in that strange, cultish cartridge you favor. When we bought 500 rounds of .380 Auto for the LCP from Sportsman's Guide a couple years back the lady taking the order refered to it as Focaccia brand. So, that is a running joke around the house. Now, if only I could consistently hit a focaccia at 15 yds with that little pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focaccia -- Banana-fana-Focacciana ... that's hilarious.

    Little handguns just don't give you much sight radius to work with. If you really want to feel bad, there is probably on Youtube a video of Jerry Miculek hitting a steel target with every shot from a double-action revolver while wearing a blindfold in like two seconds. It's unreal. Muscle memory or magic, there isn't much difference.

    I've even surprised myself a few times with my Single-Six just because I've put so many rounds through it and its very similar predecessor, the Hi-Standard Double-Nine.

    One thing you might try is putting a strip of tape over the sights so you can't see them at all. The old WWII training film I saw used white tape about the width of the receiver. Then move up to about seven yards and practice point shooting for a bit.


    Yes, the .22WMR is kind of like a cult, occult almost.

    ReplyDelete