Friday, June 8, 2012

New and Used


I think I will have a gear review coming next week.  It kind of depends on developments since this is a piece of used equipment.  I usually prefer to buy new, but sometimes older tools are not only a better deal but better quality.  I am not much of a mechanic thus used cars scare me while I usually feel confident about axes, hammers, and anvils.  Used firearms fall closer to the middle of the continuum.

I have bought a couple of used Rugers that I still have, my 10/22 and my Super Blackhawk.  I didn’t worry about the 10/22.  Not only is this an extremely rugged firearm, but it is easy to replace any malfunctioning part.  In the case of the Super Blackhawk, it was simply a matter of looking down the barrel and checking the cylinder for tightness and alignment.  Again, these single-actions are so overbuilt that wear and tear is usually not an issue, plus aftermarket parts, both factory replacement and upgrades, abound for Ruger single-actions, too.  The same is true for most common firearms – 1911s, Remington 700s and 870s, Mossberg 500s, Glocks, etc. – right now.  That may not be the case in the future.  It would be a very good idea to have replacement parts on hand for your primary defensive and/or foraging weapons.  Now would be the ideal time to acquire pins, springs, magazines, and other parts that might break or be lost.  If the system breaks down, replacement parts may be an issue. 

In considering a used firearm, it is wise to go to some place like Midway and check through the list of available parts.  This will give you an idea of how common the weapon is, as well as the potential cost of fixing or maintaining it. 

I have bought firearms from private individuals.  In some cases, I did not know the people before I contacted them about the firearm.  Be cautious if following this path.  I have mentioned this before, but if you are uneasy about a meeting with someone, back off.  Even the best deal is not worth winding up rolled or worse.  Private sales are nice because there are no records, but on a couple of occasions I have wondered if I might be buying a stolen weapon.  It is best to know the people you deal with if at all possible.  We have a small gun and pawn shop here locally that I frequent for ammunition on a pretty regular basis.  The guys aren’t usually too busy and don’t mind if folks come in, hang out and chat a little.  Once you get to know people, you'll be able to tell if they are willing to give you a reasonable deal.  Sometimes these shops get in interesting pieces.  Also, usually for a nominal fee, you can order lower priced new firearms from places like Cheaper Than Dirt via the local dealer's FFL and NICS.

    
 Get outside and have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment