Thursday, June 28, 2012

Death of the Republic, Death to Republicans

Figuratively speaking, of course.


Well, isn’t this nice.  Chief Justice John Roberts, Catholic, Bush-appointed “conservative”, sided with the liberals and said that the federal government can do pretty much as it damn well pleases.  Kennedy, Alito, Scalia, and Thomas recognize that the entire law is outside the bounds of federal jurisdiction and completely unconstitutional.  I am sorry I ever voted for anyone named Bush.  Recall that, instead of Alito, Bush wanted to appoint his White Counsel, Harriet Meiers, to the Court. 

The good part is that now I have no reason to vote for Romney or any other Republican ever again.  My one argument was the Supreme Court justices that might be appointed by a Democrat president.  But it was Bush’s appointee that stabbed us in the back and ran our Constitution through the shredder.  It makes no difference whatsoever now.  I am free to vote for whomever is on the Constitution or Libertarian Party ticket. 

Roberts did us one small favor.  By writing the opinion specifically calling the mandate a tax, he has handed Obama and the Democrat Congress one of the largest and most painful tax increases ever on the working class in this country.  The U.S. economy will suffer further degradation, and, if Romney has a brain in his head, he will use this to bludgeon those who supported this monstrous theft of life, liberty and property.  Viewed politically, this will likely lead to the defeat of Obama and to the Republicans taking control of the Senate.  However, there is no guarantee that such an outcome will be anything other than more of the same in terms of the expansion of government. 

I don’t care.  I am going to build a taller fence around my property.  I am aiming for near-self-sufficiency in the next couple of years.  I am going to invite my local veterinarian over to go fishing in my pond, and, if I break a bone, I’m going to call him to set it and give me some antibiotics.  Amoxicillin is amoxicillin. 

I am now forced to pay for things that run completely contrary to my beliefs and values.  The government sticks a gun to my head and says that I must pay for schools that indoctrinate rather than educate, that instill humanist values and trash Christianity and American history.  If I am forced against my will to work to support the indolent, the promiscuous, and the irresponsible, how exactly do I differ from a slave? 

5 comments:

  1. Agreed, that was a huge disappointment. Mark Levin, whose opinion I respect said Robert's arguments were terrible. What's with these city folk?

    I'm not giving up yet. I'm the R-Party vice chair in charge of precinct captains for our county. We are going to develop a ground game. House-to-house visits, phone calls, to get the likely Rs to vote.

    We need to counteract Northern VA which has gone completely to the dark side.

    My point? Gonna fight hard for this one because of Virginia's swing-state status. Will Romney dissapoint? Yes, I'm sure of that. If the Republicans get the House/Senate/WH and don't act boldly then I may leave the party.

    How much of your protein needs can your pond provide?
    (You know who else liked fish.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just kind of on a rant. Virginia's a critical state, and I think you are doing the kind of work everybody needs to do. More and more people -- I hope -- are waking up to the reality of our situation and realizing how deep and extensive the changes need to be. Not from government but of our attitude toward it. Yes, we need to see them to make government substantially smaller. People who see the light need to get involved in the parties and overwhelm the establishment. You can see some movement in the right direction.

    Since it's just my wife and I any more, we could probably get by with just a little bacon -- mainly for seasoning -- and a few eggs for batter and stuff during spring and summer. It's usually pretty easy to catch enough bass and bluegill for supper. If my latest addition of crappie prosper, that will be even better.

    One meal a day with meat or fish is usually plenty for me. Aside from an occasional craving for chili, I could get by pretty well on pinto beans and cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. Since I've been trying to drop these last 10 lbs. I've been thinking how much food is really needed and what kind of minimalist diet I could get by on. Mutton, eggs, spinach, and bread would be pretty good and something we could provide for ourselves. Beans and cornbread would be easy to grow and good. I would miss dairy. Maybe we can get one of those miniature milk cows. We have a great pond site to exploit one of these years. I love crappie fishing. Hmmm, that minimalist diet ain't sounding so mimimalist no more. But it would be, I dunno, fun is not quite the word, satisfying is closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a pond is a good investment, both in terms of the protein and as a source for irrigation and a back-up (last resort) water source. My son irrigates his garden from his pond with a pump he rigged.

    I like stuff to be as little work as possible, so I have fruit trees, tame blackberries and grape vines. I had a good crop of Santa Rosa plums from my tree this year, and we'll have some apples to can. We have the freezer just about full of strawberries and blackberries. We have a number of large black walnut trees, and I planted a couple of English walnuts -- from which I'll probably never eat.

    I am fighting with my wife about adding a portable coop and some chickens. I hate chicken as meat, but I like eggs. She says it will be too much trouble. On the other hand, she is opposed to me putting in a commercial vineyard, arguing in favor of running a few cows. She is correct that I know a lot more about cattle than I do about grapes, and, in some respects, calves are less work.

    We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, John, if you want to send me an email at mushroom1066@yahoo.com, I'll send you my regular email address.

    ReplyDelete