Thursday, March 1, 2012

Prepping Goes Mainstream on Lifehacker

I doubt that the average prepper is going to gain much from this piece on Lifehacker.  The interesting point to me is that so many people are thinking that things may not continue as they always have.  Even at the height of the Y2K-mania, other than Art Bell listeners, no one was taking the disaster preparedness too seriously.  Lifehacker even mentions EMPs. 

Again, it isn't necessarily the ultimate apocalyptic wipe-out that worries me.  If the Yellowstone Caldera goes, all my worries go with it.  No, I'm thinking more of what happened in the financial collapse in Argentina in 2001, what is happening now in Greece, what happens in cities across America when sports teams win or the cops are involved in a questionable inner city shooting.  About 36 hours ago, we had tornadoes -- not even really big ones -- tear up miles of structures and property.  Several were injured and at least a couple were killed. 

In my immediate area, we had minimal disruption, but we had heavy straight-line winds break off a dead tree out near our fence and power line.  Of course, I have my generator, but, last year, one of the neighbors and I convinced our local electric co-op to take out a tree in similar condition in that vicinity that was much closer to the line.  Nobody in our neighborhood lost power.  Eliminating threats ahead of time is a good policy. 

We just do not know what is going to happen, but being prepared is always better than being caught flatfooted. 

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were near the tornadoes. Glad to hear you were spared from damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife thought we were going to get blown plumb away, but none of the tornadoes were really close to us this time. Branson's about 45 minutes from here, and it's messed up -- especially given that tourist season is just about to start.

    ReplyDelete