Thursday, May 28, 2015

War on Water

You've probably heard that Obama and the EPA are claiming sovereignty over all water in the U.S.

The EPA was created, as I recall, under Nixon.  It's not a bad idea -- in principle, however, as we were talking about earlier this week with the Department of Agriculture, it is now as much a rogue agency as the IRS or the ATF.  Dogs are good.  Mad dogs have to be put down. 

Common sense would suggest that navigable waterways do not include drainage ditches or fish ponds on private property.  Of course, common sense has nothing to do with it.  It is all about seizing power and control.  Property rights, including all-important water rights, mean nothing to tyrants, petty or otherwise.

I have my own little red line.  The day the government tries to come in and tell me what I can do with my pond or the little spring and stream I have on my property or my well is the day I begin practicing uncivil disobedience.  I'll put up with a lot of silliness and taxation and regulation and bureaucratic stupidity, but water is life, and I take it very seriously.  I don't think I am entirely alone in this.

A government that has no respect or regard for the most vital rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a government unworthy of respect or regard. 

It is time to de-fund and dismantle the EPA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment