Friday, April 6, 2012

SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk






Ever since my hillbilly childhood, I have considered the axe to be a nearly indispensable tool.  My fascination with all sharp objects is obvious, and the tomahawk is no exception.  From Ed Ames pitching a 'hawk in the opening sequence of "Daniel Boone" (not to mention Johnny Carson) to depictions in The Last of the Mohicans and The Patriot to their actual utilization by American troops in combat in Vietnam and more recent conflicts, tomahawks are seen as useful and effective.

The SOG Fusion has a stainless steel head with a special casehardened titanium nitrate finish.  The head is mated to the Zytel handle with a steel shaft, heavy-duty bolts and a steel ferrule.  The ferrule is that smooth collar below the bolts in the photo.  This is a very solid connection.  Probably if the Zytel haft ever breaks, it would be a nightmare to replace, but, odds are against it breaking.

I was leery of a spike since this replaces the utility of the hammer head of more traditional tomahawks.  But as an implement for digging or breaking out a window in an emergency situation, or being used on the backstroke in combat, it works quite well.  The spike end has no sharp edges.  It is pick.  Hammering is not completely lost to the Fusion as turning the head sideways allows the user to drive tent pegs, stakes, even nails with the dimpled sections just above the haft.  It is not a very good hammer, but it can work within limits.

SOG did a good job on the head, making it heavy enough to chop with authority but quick enough to be controlled should the tomahawk have to be used as a weapon.  The cutting edge is nicely done, as well, with a good grind for an axe.  I whacked through seasoned hardwood with no problems hanging up or sticking.  The edge did not roll and maintained its sharpness.

The handle allows for a secure one-hand grip, but it is long enough to use two-handed if needed for a little extra power.  The ridges are smooth, not likely to cause calluses, and cover enough of the handle to permit hand placement appropriate to the task -- at the end for power, choking up for finer control -- without fear of slipping.  The diameter is about right for me, but I am amazingly average, so those with really small or really large meat hooks might have a different view.

Full disclosure requires me to say that I did not throw that.  I just thought it made a good picture.  I think the Fusion would throw pretty well, but it's not something I plan for.

My intention for the Fusion is primarily to pack when I'm working around the place or carry as an emergency tool in a vehicle when traveling.  It would be a handy addition on camping, hunting, and fishing trips.
Dimensions:  blade length 2.75 inches, head length 8 and 1/8 inches, overall length 15.5 inches.  It has a lanyard hole in the base of the haft.

The sheath has three snaps along the bottom.  Insert the head, snap it shut to keep it in place.  There is a belt loop on the sheath, though it seems more appropriate for attachment to a MOLLE vest or pack than to an actual belt.  If you are wearing a belt, the best way to carry the Fusion is simply to stick the handle under the belt.  There are also five grommets in the sheath that would allow a person to run leather thongs, twine, paracord or some other cordage through them for "personalized" carry options.

In fact, about the only negative comments I have seen about the Fusion relate to the sheath, and I tend to think those are mainly from users who have not thought through the possibilities.

The price seems to vary quite a bit.  I picked it up as a close-out from SMKW for $24.99 (as of posting date, 4-6-2012) -- which I thought was pretty good.  Other offers I have seen are closer to $40.

3 comments:

  1. I read somewhere you don't want to keep your spike sharp because it may sink in too deep into your opponents skull and create suction making it hard to remove. Better to just crack the walnut, so to speak. (Remind me to stay away from hand-to-hand combat. BLECH!) That's a lot of swingpower(?) for your money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does make gruesome sense. I agree I'd rather not find out how it works in that regard. But it is definitely good for digging.

    On a brighter note, I hope you have a happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete