Friday, August 26, 2016

Reviews and Ramblings

So, now that Hillary has exposed the awful darkness that is the Alt-Right, I am willing to confess that I have been reading a lot of Alt--Right stuff over the last year or so.  It's nice to know that there are people -- especially younger people -- out there who agree with me, or are nearly as warped and twisted as I am.  I'm not sure "We. Don't. Care." is going to replace "Don't Tread On Me" or "Molon Labe", but it does sum up a lot about how I feel.

Since it's confession time, Vox Popoli is pretty much a daily stop for me.  This has led me to some interesting reading, e.g., The Missionaries.  This is an entertaining send-up of the bureaucratic do-gooder with the tabula rasa outlook.  A reader will get no great insights, the characters are mostly one-dimensional, but it is at times, rather funny and reinforces what we already know about the nanny state.

Another book that I bought on Vox's recommendation is Brings the Lightning by Peter Grant.  I am well into the first section of the book.  I'm going to finish it.  Mr. Grant is competent, but he is not Louis L'Amour.  Grant is good on the technical details of weaponry, and I'm sure there is going to be plenty of action later on.  The writer's greatest strength so far is also his weakness.  He wants his hero to be fully equipped, like Batman's utility belt from the old '60s TV show.  There's a hint of MarySue-ness in the early going.  I hope it will get better.  If it doesn't get better soon, I will withdraw my recommendation.  For now, my thumb is in the horizontal position.

The next one is two thumbs up -- Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia is easily the best fantasy novel I have read in a long, long time.  I love Gene Wolfe's New Sun books, but, honestly, they can be a bit of a slog with his derived vocabulary.  Correia is not as literary as Wolfe, but this series looks to be considerably less pulpy than, say, David Gemmell's Legend.  I have a number of Gemmell's books, most of which I have read at least a couple of times.  They are like Howard's Conan works -- pulp fiction -- great pulp fiction, but not in the same arena with Tolkien.  It's like kids and grandkids, I love them all -- just in different ways.

I had planned to review the book on the Benghazi debacle, 13 Hours, but it's not fair to blurb it.  So maybe I'll do a full review next week.  It's a well-balanced, non-politically motivated, objective write-up of what led to the disaster.  What I'll tell you is that if you read The Missionaries, you will not be surprised by what happened at Benghazi the night of September 11, 2012.

The other thing I want to review is my Ruger AR 223.  I'm really having an on-again/off-again relationship with this little piece of crap rifle.  It's not the rifle's fault.  It's me.  I knew the first time I fired one of these 35 years ago that I didn't like it.  I've added a Leupold 1.5-4x scope.  For me, it's a niche firearm, but I have it, and I'm going to keep it.  I will complain and praise more later.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment