Friday, May 16, 2014

Missouri Legislators Triple the Waiting Period for Abortions

The St. Louis Pest-Dispatch tells us that Missouri has passed a somewhat controversial bill to force women to wait 72 hours to get an abortion even in cases of rape and incest.  Medical emergencies are exempt from the limitation.

Personally, I would rather have had the voter photo ID requirement that died in exchange for this measure, but I don't think it is a bad piece of legislation.

Governor Jay Nixon is constantly channeling Obama-like rhetorical flourishes while trying not to be too associated with the president as he prepares to challenge Roy Blunt in 2016 for a Senate seat.  I am sure he plans to veto this bill.  He made a statement calling it "extreme".  Because, you know, 48 hours more to think about whether a person wants to terminate an innocent life is really asking a lot.

I doubt Nixon would have the same qualms about a 72-hour waiting period to purchase firearms.  That would be more "common-sense" than "extreme", in his opinion.

I feel some sympathy for women who find themselves in difficult situations.  There are cases where rape and incest result in pregnancy, and I can understand the decision to have an abortion under those conditions, or where it is a medical necessity.  However, the number of those cases is miniscule relative to the number of women who have abortions for the sake of convenience after consensual sex. 

I'm pro-choice.  I think a woman ought to have a right to decide whether or not to get pregnant, and there are a number of ways to avoid pregnancy.  If a woman is too stupid to figure those ways out on her own, I'm sure she can find someone to explain them to her at no charge.

Choose to think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment