Monday, December 8, 2014

There Is A Reason For Everything

I found this video -- obviously by a Canadian, eh? -- from back in 2009.  I ran across it randomly on another blog when it came up in the previews after a different coyote-related video played.  As soon as I saw it, the cause for coyote's behavior seemed apparent.

LANGUAGE WARNING -- and not just for the dialect.  If he didn't sound so Canadian, he'd pass for a Bostonian.


The guy's boots are squeaking on the snow.  The coyote thinks it's mouse -- or some similar small, squeaky creature.  Coyotes aren't terribly picky eaters.  The more the man moves, the more his boots squeak, and the coyote is more certain those boots are made for gnawin'.  Even when we aren't hearing it on the video, it might as well be playing on a Led Zeppelin amp as far as the coyote is concerned. He or she could probably hear what we pick up from half a quarter away. 

Probably, too, from the looks of the site, this coyote is used to humans.  Others may have given it food in the past while not shooting at it, thereby causing it to lose its natural fear of these crazy (two legs bad) bipeds. 

I have to assume our intrepid Canadian videographer is wearing steel-toed boots.  Coyotes can't generate the pressure of a Rottweiler, but their jaws should be respected.  It's possible, though, that letting the coyote get hold of his boot worked out.  It may have convinced this clever canine that no mouse was present.  "I'm getting hints of Goodyear and Gold Bond."    

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have had the patience that man had. I'm guessing that coyote was being fed. Anyhow, I would have shot or clubbed it. That was a bit scary. In related news, the pack was howling close by tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Thanksgiving, my daughter brought up the time that she had gone coyote hunting with Dad and my nephew who is her age. The hounds had gotten after a coyote bitch, and she had been killed. They found that she had pups in a den. My daughter and nephew decided to try and tame one. It didn't work out. Dad had one that he kept for quite a while, and it never got used to us. One of his hunting buddies did the same thing, with slightly more success. There are individual variations. I've heard of people making pets out of one now and then, but it's a little unusual.

    Canadian coyotes may be more laid back.

    I can't imagine one coyote even considering an attack on an adult human. It's not wise to corner one, but in the open it's safe enough. However, I think that particular coyote might consider a small enough human as potential prey.

    ReplyDelete