Thursday, May 12, 2016

Missouri CCW Bonus

I picked up my permit from the county sheriff's office recently.  Missouri is pretty reasonable about a citizen's right to own various weapons and open carry but restrictive about concealed carry of things like fixed blade knives.

A CCW holder is exempt from the restrictions on edged and impact weapons in addition to being able to carry a concealed firearm.  I have been known to carry a neck knife, which would technically be a violation.  I don't have to worry for the next five years.  That makes it especially nice when riding the bike or carrying knives in the truck.

This is not true in every state, and it isn't all that clear from the MO statutes.  It requires a bit of attention and reading through.  The fact that government did something that actually makes sense is kind of astounding.  If a person has cleared the background check for carrying a firearm, it seems reasonable to allow them to carry a baton or the blade of choice.      

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Didn't know about the blade restrictions. I should check our laws.

    Got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker at a roadblock checkpoint last Sunday. After a minute or so on the side of the road waiting for my ticket to be filled out, another officer comes back and asks if I am carrying? I was. Where was my gun? In my pocket. I pressed my hands to my pocket to show the print. He said, excitedly, Don't touch your pocket! Was it loaded? Yes. One in the chamber? No. Then he said if I'm ever pulled over again I need to volunteer this information. I said OK but thought I don't think this is their business. I'll answer truthfully but only if asked.

    They told me to keep my hands on the wheel where they could see them while they did the paperwork.

    I understood where they were coming from but they did make me feel a bit like a criminal even thought they were polite. They asked me where I had been and where I was going. I told them, didn't want to be a jerk about it even though I could have told them it was none of their business. They are my "neighbors" after all, and we are on the same team.

    ReplyDelete