Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tuco Is Proven Right Again

From Hillview, KY, Police say home intruder wrestled gun away from woman, shot her. 

Fortunately for the victim, it appears that she will survive.  The shot struck her in the shoulder. 


Remember -- I am not a judge, attorney or law enforcement officer.  This is just my personal opinion as a hillbilly.  Do not take my advice.

I mentioned the other day that my wife has a laser-equipped 10/22 and a revolver in .38 Special as her home defense weapons.  I've explained the use of the rifle to her.  For the handgun, my instructions are very simple. 

  • Retrieve the handgun.  Keep it down and out of sight.
  • Retreat as far as possible while screaming, "Go away!  Don't hurt me!" or whatever comes to mind.
  • If the intruder continues to advance and reaches a point almost within arms' length, thrust the revolver toward the intruder while pulling the double action trigger.  Continue to do this until the gun is empty.  
  • Do not drop the gun immediately but attempt to use it as a bludgeon if the intruder has not dropped or retreated.  
We have practiced this with dummy rounds in the revolver so she is familiar with how quickly someone can close the distance and keep her from firing.

If someone has entered my house without permission, they have already committed the crime of breaking and entering.  They should have no expectation of safety at that point. 

  • Pointing a firearm at someone is technically assault.  
  • Warning shots are a waste of ammunition.  
  • Firing a gun at someone is use of deadly force.  
 It seems to me I might as well try to make it count.

Despite looking a lot like this old cracker -- just add a big white mustache --
as a relatively active and substantial male with some firearms' experience, I have a little more leeway in deciding when to pull the trigger.  The frailer and the weaker a person is the less they can afford to wait.  Teach them well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you appreciate how lucky you are in the USA.

    Here in New Zealand if you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger, even on your own property when you have issued warnings and belive your life to be in mortal danger, you are most likely to be convicted of manslaughter or even murder, if the intruder dies as a result.

    I don't own a gun primaraly for that reason.

    Maybe I should get one anyway, but I know the risk of prosecution is so high, than even if I injure the intruder in hand to hand combat I'm at risk of using excessive force, and libel to prosecution.

    There is a lot to like about the USA, even under your present appalling leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do appreciate it. I knew Britain was really strict on self-defense. I didn't realize it was that bad in New Zealand. In your situation, I think I would do the same thing and just not have a firearm at all.

    It just doesn't make sense to me that decent, law-abiding people should have to acquiesce to whatever a lawbreaker might choose to do.

    I agree with the concept that it is better to retreat or flee when that is an option. I am not at all an aggressive person. But faced with aggression and a reasonable expectation of bodily harm, passivity and surrender may not be adequate. Appealing to a criminal's better nature assumes that he has a better nature.

    I would much rather hand my wallet over to a guy than kill him. I would rather let him have my television set than kill him -- I hardly watch it anyway. But a physical threat, which a home invader represents almost by definition, requires a different response. Protecting the innocent and the weak seems like something God would endorse.

    ReplyDelete