Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Saving the Skins

The brilliant Mr. Greenfield wrote on the Redskins today, and it got me to thinking:

Forcing the Redskins to rename themselves the Washington Community Organizers or the Washington Bureaucrats isn't up there with the Lewis and Clark expedition; but it's all they have and they won't stop.

The Sultan's point is that this is just another battle in the long war.  Controlling language is another way of controlling thought and people.  If you haven't read it already, please follow the link.

I care about the Redskins.  Though I have been a Cowboy fan as long as there have been Cowboys and a Chiefs fan since before they won their last Superbowl with Lenny Dawson, the Redskins have always been a favorite rival team.  Despite their success against the Cowboys at times, I always loved Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer.  Back in those days, when a pass occasionally imitated a wounded duck, the 'Skins might have changed their name to the Washington Lobbyists. 

Still, I am looking for a way to keep the name Redskins.:
Mr. Peanut could be the new mascot.  They could play at Planters Stadium.  

If we can't get that arrangement and the Redskins are forced to adopt a new designation, perhaps we could come up with something appropriate to D.C. --  the Washington Stealers probably won't work.  It would be hard to call a game against Pittsburgh.   Instead, maybe they could be the Pickpockets and specialize in interceptions.


Or, we could make all the college professors happy and call them the Progressives -- the Progs. 

How about the Revenuers?  That would be intimidating.  "Well, Bob, it looks like the Giants were audited today."

They could be the Overruns. 

The Washington Debtors?

Ah, I've got it, the Washington Dictators.  They'll win every game.



2 comments:

  1. So I say to my wife, "Hey, Mushroom has a solution to the Washington Redskins name problem." and she says, "What? Redskin peanuts?" I kid you not.

    I had a Studebaker Dictator sitting right on the property line with Alvin, had a tree growing between the front bumper and the radiator. I had dreams of a restoration. Painted battleship gray with neat graphics of tiny portraits of Mao, Stalin, and Hitler painted on the door right above the running boards. Then one day the tree was cut and the Dictator was gone. Probably for the best. Most folks can't take a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm flattered because I have gathered that she is quite an intelligent person.

    It's a shame about the Studebaker. That would have been cool.

    ReplyDelete