Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Not Sure What This Means

The copper price chart for the last five days has a rather distinct profile

We have seen a lot of fluctuation in copper over the last several months.  About this time last year, I noted copper had fallen from 3.92 to 3.63.  Today, it ended at 3.32.  Most likely it will be up some tomorrow, but the overall trend appears to reflect decreasing demand in manufacturing and construction.   

A colder than normal Spring across much of the U.S. and in the UK could be depressing construction.  If Friday's unemployment numbers turn out to be less than encouraging, there will be lots of excuses, including Sequester! and the weather. 

I'm reminded of that disturbing scene in True Grit, especially graphic in the 2010 version, where Rooster rides Little Blackie to a tortured collapse.  At least he had a good excuse and was trying to do the right thing.    


2 comments:

  1. Copper is probably a decent indicator. So, where is this recovery happening? Actually, I don't watch MSM to know if they are saying we are in a recovery. Are they?

    Saw the 2010 True Grit a couple of months ago. It was harsh but good. Also, I had forgotten about Jeremiah Johnson. I wonder if I would still enjoy it now that I'm all growed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you probably will. If I have any complaint about it, it's that Redford's interpretation of a character they based on the legend of Liver-Eatin' Johnson might have been a little too "sixties".

    Other than that, Redford does an adequate job. He's not a bad actor. I haven't seen Brubaker in a long, long time (1980?), but I seem to recall him doing all right in that, and he was good in a more recent movie my wife rented. It was made five or six years ago and had Morgan Freeman and a grizzly bear in it.

    Not that anything can ever really make up for The Way We Were.

    ReplyDelete