Thursday, February 28, 2013

Catch .303

I posted this link in a reply to John, but I think it might be good to put up separately, too.

Ian Robertson was an Australian soldier during the Korean War, a digger.  He was a sniper, armed with a .303 Enfield.

All snipers were hated, good ones were feared. The better he shot, the more desperate enemy officers would be to kill him to stop the loss of morale. This is the sniper's dilemma: the more enemies you hit, the more return fire you attract and the more likely you are to die. Call it a Catch .303.

There is nothing glamorous or glorious about killing, even when it is necessary. I do not want to have to fight my fellow humans, let alone my fellow Americans.  I hope that "come and take it" never becomes a literal process.  Still, life and freedom -- two sides of the same coin, are worth fighting, even dying, even killing to save. 

The North Koreans and the Chinese were beasts.  Don't think, though, they were born any different than the rest of us.  If war were to come to America we would see the same kind of horrors perpetrated, the same kind of heroism exemplified.

Be careful what you wish for.   

Keep both eyes open, point and snap-shoot, count the shots and reload after six.

2 comments:

  1. Good article. Yes, horrible to contemplate. I hate those in power who are acting in a manner to make me think my and my family's liberty and property are at risk.

    Well, I guess there have only been brief periods of history where such a threat didn't exist.

    As I never told my friends when we left the Mennonite church after 9/11, because I always come up with the snappy response too late, sometimes you gotta fight for what's right.

    I'm too old to fight. Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have been very fortunate in many ways to live in the time we have. My granddaughter called a few minutes ago to tell me about her new job -- working at a daycare until college starts in the fall. Even she understands how to fix the problem, "They just need to shut it all down and give it back to all the states."

    Honest, I have not indoctrinated her. Her mother may have. But those kids are out there. They are the minority right now, but who knows.

    I was reading in MOTT about the wounds. The way to do it is vow obedience, poverty, and chastity. It doesn't matter what we have titled to us, we own nothing. If it comes down to it, thinking that way will make it easier.

    ReplyDelete