Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday

I ought to get indignant and rant on about Benghazi and the economy and politics and pop culture, but I am more than a little flat.

Ninety years ago today, President Warren G. Harding died in office, of unknown causes,  and was replaced by his Vice-President, Calvin Coolidge.  Coolidge is the high-water mark of the American Presidency between Lincoln and today (whether one thinks Lincoln himself deserves his status might be a discussion for another time).  He will likely remain so in the foreseeable future.

History does not repeat; I'm not so sure it rhymes but it does seem to have the reverb turned on.  Obama is something of a reverberation of Woodrow Wilson, a Princeton professor as delusional as the University of Chicago lecturer who inhabits the White House at the moment.  Harding and Coolidge followed Wilson and got the economy that had been run aground back on course.  Maybe that will happen again.

Meanwhile, it's the weekend -- one I may actually get to enjoy, and I think the wise thing to do is be more light-hearted and relaxed.  At least for a couple of days.  Life will go on.

Let's back it up and have some fun. Turn it up.


3 comments:

  1. Silent Cal is one of my favorite presidents. Lincoln is one of my least favorite, for various reasons. As you say though, that is for another time. ;-)

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wise thing to do is be more light-hearted and relaxed. At least for a couple of days. Life will go on.

    Amen brother. I liked that song. Fits my post-ironic state. (I'm anticipating that being post-ironic is what all the cool kids will be into next).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be kind of fun to do a little history of the Secession.

    John, we'll be ironically post-ironic. Keep one step ahead.

    ReplyDelete