Thursday, August 8, 2013

As If I Needed It

Another reason to love Ann-Margret:

The next day Ann-Margret, 59 at the time, carried on as Grand Marshal of the Colonel’s Truck Accessories National Hot Rod Association Nationals, riding in a pace car with her left arm in a sling and waving to 140,000 people.

That was in 2000.  A year later, she appeared on Larry King Live and discussed the accident with the idiot King who wanted to know if she was going to continue riding bikes.  When she answered in the affirmative, he wanted to know why.  She said she loved riding motorcycles.  King pressed, asking why she loved motorcycles.  Her final answer?  It is everything.

Though she overstated it just a bit for dramatic effect and probably to avoid punching Larry in the face, bikes are a unique experience.  It would be difficult to find a comparable feeling to leaning into a corner at speed and that vital unity between man, oops, individual and machine.

Ride on.

2 comments:

  1. That article did not inspire me to take to the road. Lovely lady and bike though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She comes across as a fairly sensible person for an entertainer. She did some shows a few years ago with the late Andy Williams, and people down there had good things to say about her.

    I had two considerations when I started riding again. One was that everybody has to have "the crash", and I might have already had mine. The second was that, if I hadn't, "the crash" would probably kill me, and I'd never have to worry about being stuck in a nursing home. :^)

    ReplyDelete