Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Anxiety and Sleep Deprivation

Being sleep deprived correlates with anxiety, according to a UC Berkeley study summarized at EurekAlert.

People who tend to be more anxious are more susceptible to the anxiety-enhancing effects of sleep deprivation.  Worry can also keep us awake. 

A good night's sleep is really a blessing and has numerous health benefits, even helping in weight-control.  I often have to miss sleep because of work issues, and I have been doing this chronically for the last seventeen years.  I can tell the difference.  I used to be relatively worry-free, but I am much more susceptible to worry than I used to be.  I know what causes it -- this study is not really news to me, but I can't always do anything about it. 

Wisdom and wise behavior come a lot easier when we get all the sleep we need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment